The above video says it all. This is the time, the generation to change the way people view sports and individuals with disabilities. People with and without disabilities can work together to be a team and play a sport. Unified sports is changing the way that people look at sports for the better. It allows individuals with disabilities to get more involved in the community, but even more, it allows the community to involve people with disabilities in the joy of sports. I have personally been honored to complete my field experience with the Special Olympic's Unified Fitness program at Slippery Rock University. The program's vision is to provided inclusive physical activity for all. Myself and a Special Olympic Athlete pushed each other during each session to complete the 30 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of strength and endurance, and 5 minutes of abdominal exercises. We worked together as a team to encourage each other and provide feedback to help one another complete an exercise. The joy that I have been able to see this program bring to the athletes is amazing. It is providing them with an opportunity to be more involved in the community and workout along side their peers. I am lucky that I had the opportunity to be a part of such an inspiring program. This is the beginning of the generation of change.
I am such a strong supporter of inclusion in sports. Currently, I am taking an adapted physical activity class, and I absolutely love it. I have honestly learned so much from working with these kids than I could have ever learned from a classroom setting. It is such a wonderful opportunity, and I'm so glad you got to have an opportunity like this, too. It is honestly such a rewarding feeling to work with people with disabilities. Being able to see them participate in sports is incredibly heartwarming.
Inclusive Sports are where it is at. I am minoring in Adaptive Physical Activity and i have been taking classes for 3 years now and i love it. Taking these classes has opened my eyes up to what the future of sports should be. Working with these kids has been a blessing and its amazing to see how these kids grow in such a short amount of time. Seeing there faces light up with playing games is the best.
like the other that have commented, I too love adapted sports. At first I wasn't completely sure if I was capable of APA but now it is one of my passions. Inclusiveness, joy, and being healthy! What more could I ask for? Great post!
I absolutely agree with this blog post! I think unified sports should become better known across, well, everywhere! I took an adapted class for my coaching track in PAFM, Disability Sport in the 21st Century and I learned SO much from that class about all of these things mentioned. Through that, I have also worked with the Special Olympic's Unified Fitness program at Slippery Rock and it was just a great experience, to put it simply. I was actually able to see, first hand, how incredible these individuals are and even how they are not different at all! I think that is the biggest thing. When people are actually able to apply their knowledge, on any subject really, it's a much better way to see the true effects, and this is a subject more people need experience with.
I am such a strong supporter of inclusion in sports. Currently, I am taking an adapted physical activity class, and I absolutely love it. I have honestly learned so much from working with these kids than I could have ever learned from a classroom setting. It is such a wonderful opportunity, and I'm so glad you got to have an opportunity like this, too. It is honestly such a rewarding feeling to work with people with disabilities. Being able to see them participate in sports is incredibly heartwarming.
ReplyDeleteInclusive Sports are where it is at. I am minoring in Adaptive Physical Activity and i have been taking classes for 3 years now and i love it. Taking these classes has opened my eyes up to what the future of sports should be. Working with these kids has been a blessing and its amazing to see how these kids grow in such a short amount of time. Seeing there faces light up with playing games is the best.
ReplyDeletelike the other that have commented, I too love adapted sports. At first I wasn't completely sure if I was capable of APA but now it is one of my passions. Inclusiveness, joy, and being healthy! What more could I ask for? Great post!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with this blog post! I think unified sports should become better known across, well, everywhere! I took an adapted class for my coaching track in PAFM, Disability Sport in the 21st Century and I learned SO much from that class about all of these things mentioned. Through that, I have also worked with the Special Olympic's Unified Fitness program at Slippery Rock and it was just a great experience, to put it simply. I was actually able to see, first hand, how incredible these individuals are and even how they are not different at all! I think that is the biggest thing. When people are actually able to apply their knowledge, on any subject really, it's a much better way to see the true effects, and this is a subject more people need experience with.
ReplyDelete