Skip to main content

Ability not Disability

The video above is the story of an inspirational young man by the name of Ezra French.  This video prompts the viewer to think about what they have instead of what they do not have.  Sport takes your thoughts away from the disability.  Sport is a way to combat stress and depression and bring joy into lives of individuals regardless of their ability level.  It brings confidence and strength back into their lives.  A person can overcome anything when they put their mind to it.  Sport is a ritual that many people use for empowerment, joy, and stress relief including individuals with disabilities.  Ezra can separate himself from his disability, empower himself, and allow sport to empower him too.  Now the rest of us need to follow in Ezra's footsteps and not let an individual's disability define their abilities.  When it comes to sport, their is no disability, just an athlete and their abilities.

Comments

  1. I love this post. I totally agree that we all need to stop allowing disability define ability. There truly is no disability in sport because it is all about ability. I hope everyone can learn this from Ezra's story and especially the part where he states he was born that way. I think we need to see the cards we are dealt and run with it because they are the ones we have. I really enjoyed this post and your blog! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is amazing! I believe 100% in everything you said, as well. Through a class I took in the adapted area of PAFM, I learned so much about how "sport doesn't care." "Sport doesn't care" about what all an individuals abilities are because it doesn't matter! By this I mean, no matter what type of abilities you have because yes, some may have a restricted ability, but it is still an ability, not a disability, and that is what matters. Most people don't think of it this way, when it's actually the most real way to think about it. Great post Lexie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment